Angelus Hommage a Elisabeth Bouchet 2019 (750ML)
Critic Scores, Reviews & Descriptions
Produced from 100% old vine, Cabernet Franc, the aromas of smoked roses is what you initially notice before finding tobacco leaf, cherries, black raspberries, mint, menthol, and cigar box scents. The wine offers striking purity, similar to eating the berries off the vine. On the palate, the wine is supple, fresh, elegant, and refined, with silky textures, finesse, and depth. The red fruits continue expanding, taking on additional notes of herbs, tobacco, and cigar wrappers in the long, seamless finish. This is a benchmark wine for Cabernet Franc. 80% of the wine is aged in new, French oak barrels, with the remaining 20% aging in foudres. Only 5 barrels were produced. Each bottle is packaged in its own, numbered box. 14.5% ABV, 3.7 pH. Drink from 2030-2055. - Jeff Leve, Wine Cellar Insider
"Château Angélus CEO and co-owner Stephanie de Boüard-Rivoal explained to me during our tasting last week that it has long been the practice of her father, Hubert de Boüard, to put aside a little of their old-vine Cabernet Franc, vinifying and bottling it separately so that they could better understand its potential and contribution.
“These vines from this section of Cabernet Franc are 60-80 years old. Some were planted by my grandfather. So, they have very deep roots.”
The parcel used to make this 100% Cabernet Franc label is located in a small, southwestern portion of the estate that has been dedicated to Cabernet Franc at Angélus for two centuries.
Much of Château Angélus’s signature style today is rooted in romance. Stephanie de Boüard-Rivoal’s grandmother’s maiden name was Elisabeth Bouchet. Bouchet is the traditional Saint-Émilion term for Cabernet Franc. To pay tribute to his wife, Stephanie’s grandfather, Jacques de Boüard de Laforest, chose to focus heavily on Cabernet Franc at the estate, a decision that had a lot to do with love. Now Cabernet Franc accounts for 47% of the plantings at Angélus, including a large portion of the old vines planted by Jacques.
“Hommage à Elisabeth Bouchet won’t necessarily be made every year,” said Stephanie. “2016, 2018 and 2019 have been made. There is no 2017 because of the frost. This label will only be made when this section of Cabernet Franc is exceptional.” - Lisa Perotti-Brown, Wine Advocate