Please see a list of some of our most frequently asked questions. If you do not see an answer to your question please contact us for further assistance.
For questions related to Shipping your order, please visit our Shipping information page.
- What do the Order Statuses in My Account mean?
- What are Estimated Shipping Times, and when will I receive my wine?
- What types of payment does GVWM accept?
- Are shipping charges included in the price of the wine?
- What wine critics are referenced on your website?
- What effect will the 25% tariff on certain wines from Europe have?
- Pending or Awaiting Fulfillment – This means that someone from our customer service department has reviewed your order and will be contacting you if your wines are in stock to finalize shipping. If your wines are pre-arrival or futures this status will be updated to Pre-Arrival/Future* until your wines are in stock, at which time someone from our shipping department will contact you to finalize the shipping details, and update the status of your order. *(NOTE: this is a new status so orders on or before 6/30/17 that are pre-arrival/futures may remain "awaiting fulfillment" until your wines are in stock.)
- Awaiting Customer Response – Someone from our customer service department has contacted you about your order and is awaiting your response. (Contact us if your order has this status but you haven’t seen correspondence from us.)
- Verification Required – Generally this means a portion of your billing address was slightly mismatched (i.e. Suite Twelve vs Suite #12). Our customer service team will review these and generally update the status to Pending.
- Awaiting Payment – This generally only applies to people that have paid with a check or wire transfer; once either is received the status will be updated accordingly.
- Awaiting Shipment – Your order has been processed and is awaiting pickup by the courier service you selected.
- Awaiting Pick Up – This means you have selected the in store pick up option and/or are part of our monthly wine club. Your wines are ready to pick up during our shop hours Tue-Sat 11am-7pm, or Monday by appointment.
- Shipped – Once your order has shipped and a tracking number generated this is the final status of your order. NOTE: sometimes you will have already received your shipment before this status is updated due to the large amount of orders that we process. Also note that when your package is picked up by UPS you will get an email from them with the tracking information.
- Partially Shipped – This usually means you had both in stock wines and pre-arrivals/futures in a single order. If you choose to have your in stock wines shipped ahead of the others this will remain the status until your pre-arrivals come in, at which time we will contact you to finalize the order.
- Pre-arrival/Future - This means your order is awaiting wines to come into stock. Once in stock you will be contacted to arrange shipping and your order status will be updated accordingly. If your initial order contained both pre-arrival wines and in stock wines you should have been contacted to inquire about shipping in stock wines. If you chose to ship in stock wines your order will indicate this, but the status will still remain pre-arrival until the rest of your order is shipped.
- Weather Hold - This means our shipping team has been in contact with you about your order and agreed to hold your wine until better weather is available for shipping.
- Enquire - These wines are in the USA but haven’t cleared customs because they are subject to a 25% value tariff that went into effect as of 10/18/19. See our FAQ on the tariff below for more info, and contact us if you are interested in placing an order for one of these wines subject to a tariff charge.
- Future – This generally only applies to Bordeaux En-Primeur wines that are a minimum of 1-2 years away. Check out our dedicated En-Primeur page for more details.
- Pre-Arrival – We have secured our allocation from our vendor that is waiting to have it shipped to our location, generally this is a 3-6month turnaround until we are able to ship your wines.
- 90 Days – This applies when our vendor has verified the wine is on the water from Europe. Often times this ETA is conservative and the wines show up much earlier, however due to the nature of customs clearance, ports, etc, this is the guideline we follow.
- 60 Days - This applies when our vendor has verified the wine has landed in the US but has not yet cleared customs. Often times this ETA is conservative and the wines show up much earlier, however due to the nature of customs clearance, ports, etc, this is the guideline we follow.
- 15-30 Days – This means the wine is in customs or occasionally if a domestic wine we order is coming across states, again usually they arrive sooner but this is the guideline we follow.
- 7-10 Days - Wines on order from vendors that we expect delivered in 10 days or less.
- 3-7 Days – Wines on order from vendors that we expect delivered in a week or less.
- In Stock – Wines are here and ready to ship. For pickup in the store, please contact us 1 business day in advance.
- Credit Card
- Apple Pay
- Wire Transfer (contact us for details)
- Personal Check (contact us for details)
- Shipping charges are not included in wine prices. To estimate shipping costs, add an In-Stock product to your cart by browsing the menu options to the left or with the search box above, then click its "Add to Cart" button. From there click on "View or Edit Your Cart" and then "Estimate Shipping & Tax" and shipping services will be displayed. NOTE: if no shipping options are displayed, please contact us for a quote.
Below is a list of critics we reference on product pages and e-mail offers. We endeavor to list accurate, up-to-date reviews and scores on all wines, however if you find an error or out of date review please let us know.
Most critics now use the 100-point scale, with Jancis Robinson being the exception. Jancis uses a 20-point scale with 20 being “Truly Exceptional” down to 12 being “Faulty or Unbalanced.”
RP = Robert Parker, Wine Advocate
WA = Wine Advocate reviewers other than Robert Parker
WS = Wine Spectator, all reviewers
AG = Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media
VM = Vinous Media
JS = James Suckling & all reviewers at JamesSuckling.com
JD = Jeb Dunnuck (formerly Wine Advocate)
BH or AM = Allen Meadows, Burghound
JR = Jancis Robinson & all reviewers at JancisRobinson.com
DE = Decanter, all reviewers
WE = Wine Enthusiast, all reviewers
WH = Steen Ohman, WineHog
A 25% value tariff went into effect as of 10/18/19 on the following wine types from France, Spain, Germany and the UK:
- still wines only (sparkling wines and Champagne are exempt)
- ABV of 14% or lower
- under 2 Liters in volume
In order to avoid adding 25% to the price of wines subject to the tariff, there may be a delay in delivering wines subject to the tariff that are not yet In Stock. (IE, wines with an Estimated Shipping Time of "Pre-Arrival", "Future", "90 days" or "60 days".)
Wines wines with an Estimated Shipping Time of "In Stock" or less than 60 days, or that you are storing with us in the USA, are not subject to tariffs.
All existing Pre-Arrival and Futures orders will be honored at the original price and made ready for delivery as soon as possible after the tariff has been lifted.
Any wines held for import due to the tariff will be stored in our temperature-controlled facility in Bordeaux until the tariff has been lifted.
Should you need a wine on our list, or one that you have previously ordered, that is subject to the tariff imported before it has been lifted, we can supply that wine with the additional tariff charge billed prior to import.
Based on the information we are receiving from industry experts, we are expecting the tariff will be lifted relatively soon.
In the meantime, we will continue sourcing wines not affected by the tariff and make them available as pre-arrivals, while we have an extensive list of Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, German and Spanish wines In Stock now, as well as top selections from other regions not affected by the tariff.
We appreciate your patience and understanding, and please direct any further questions to your sales representative.